WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessible forms

for

Date: Dec 11, 2013 2:46PM

Gary,

We've looked at dozens of Software-as-a-Service, web-based form creation services and not yet found any that have accessible interfaces for form creation and administration. The most common problems are with their "user friendly" drag and drop features, with no alternative way to add or move form fields. Coming in second are problems with AJAX-y features, where critical information and/or functions are invisible to screen readers and oft-times impossible to use with keyboard only.

The products that passed enough criteria to make it into our comparison phase included Caspio, FormSmarts, Wufoo, JotForm, ZoHo Creator, Formsite, and FormStack. I don't have a list of the rest of the ones that were looked at.

Our focus was on looking at products to support simple forms. Some also support survey functions, so our findings would be relevant for that, but we didn't look specifically at survey services. If asked to do look into survey, I would not hold my breath that the results would be any better. Just sayin'.

sb
Sarah E. Bourne
Director of Assistive Technology &
Mass.Gov Chief Technology Strategist
Information Technology Division
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
1 Ashburton Pl. rm 1601 Boston MA 02108
617-626-4502
<EMAIL REMOVED>
http://www.mass.gov/itd