WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Disclaimer accessibility and widget accessibility onassets.cms.gov

for

Date: May 15, 2014 1:38PM

Re: Question 2: It's broken. No keyboard interactivity, though the screen reader still reports it as a slider and reads the value properly.

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Nahidi, Jinkuk
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:18 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Disclaimer accessibility and widget accessibility on assets.cms.gov

Hi all,

Question 1:

For disclaimer content that is superscripted, I've seen one approach but I really don't feel is ideal where the superscripted disclaimer (1) is a link to the disclaimer/legal text at the end of the site. If we don't link it does it not make it accessible? Or is there another way? I personally could not figure out an elegant approach. I thought about maybe describedby but its not interactable/focusable so that was a no go.

The experience of a person going to the disclaimer through an anchor/focus would also not be ideal because of the going back and just really effects the users flow. Ideally just having some sort of aria tag that says hey this is the disclaimer text for this paragraph or that there is a disclaimer text somewhere at the end callout as the person reads that paragraph. Just wondering if something like that exists currently.

Question 2/Comment about assets.cms.gov:

This asset below isn't accessible or is it?

I can not interact with it via keyboard to navigate the slider and thus it isn't accessible? Would adding just a tab index element which I tried in my browser deep it accessible then? It did work for me when I just edited the html in my browser and verified the functionality of the slider.

I just want to make sure there isn't some sort of magic happening here that makes it accessible and if there is I'd like to know what it is. :)

http://assets.cms.gov/resources/framework/2.0/Pages/demo-slider.html

Thanks,

Jinkuk Nahidi