WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Mega Menus and WCAG 2.0

for

Date: Jun 9, 2014 12:05PM

Hi Susie, I have about 4-5 live demo links included in the URLs from my presentations below. They all don't work exactly the same but are great for showing possible solutions.

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

On Jun 9, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Stanzel, Susan - FSA, Kansas City, MO < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I have a favor to ask. Could you please send a coding example for tabbing through the high level menu items as you have suggested? I didn't exactly understand it when I looked at your links.
>
> Susie Stanzel
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Paul J. Adam
> Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:37 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Mega Menus and WCAG 2.0
>
> Here's some good info/examples I've collected:
>
> http://pauljadam.com/moderna11y/#menus
> http://pauljadam.com/weba11ytesting/#menus
>
> Name, Role, Value, State, e.g. expanded/collapsed state is usually missing, role is usually incorrect. The keyboard interaction should not force them to TAB through every single item in the mega menu to bypass it or get to the specific item they want.
>
> Paul J. Adam
> Accessibility Evangelist
> www.deque.com
>
> On Jun 9, 2014, at 11:31 AM, Michael Moore < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>> We are starting to see an increase in the use of mega menus on many of
>> our web sites. I believe that these things are generally usability
>> nightmares, particularly for people using screen magnification. What I
>> was wondering is if there are some typical WCAG 2.0 failures for these
>> things that I should be looking for. I have been checking for keyboard
>> accessibility and good focus indication within the menus but wonder if I am missing something else.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>> >> >> list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> > >
>
>
>
> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
> > >