WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Must elements with onclick handlers be focusable?

for

Date: Jul 22, 2014 8:00AM

Good morning Listers,

Can anyone point me to something which would tell me the proper way to fix such problems. I am now confused whether CSS or JavaScript is the right solution. We are getting WorldSpace and I am sure I will be asked how to fix such problems.

Susie Stanzel

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Alastair Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:54 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Must elements with onclick handlers be focusable?

Birkir R. Gunnarsson wrote:

> Basically, we have to ask ourselves, can we make these tools smarter?
> Can they detect and interpret Javascript patterns and understand the
> purpose of the onclick functionality?
>
>
I guess the point is that it can only "flag" them, they can't be confirmed issues.

To detect this pattern, it would have to detect the onclick, work out that the script forwards to a particular URL, and check if that link is available to the keyboard user. Tall order indeed!

On the other hand, as Jonathan suggested: If you could provide an Xpath or CSS selector for things to ignore for that issue, that would be a lot easier.

-Alastair
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.