WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Why is Insert + ; shortcut removed in Jaws 15 for Skipping ARIA Landmarks ?

for

Date: Aug 21, 2014 9:04AM

You are correct.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:58 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Why is Insert + ; shortcut removed in Jaws 15 for Skipping ARIA Landmarks ?

Hi

I believe that ctrl-insert-r in Jaws 15 still works to see all the ARIA regions on the page. I am on vacation with an old laptop with me, so I only have a 14 on it and cannot verify this.
It is true that insert-r has to do with virtual cursor operations but ctrl-insert-r should enable user to navigate the landmarks structure, if present.
There has been quite a bit of confusion surrounding the switch from ; to r for this, but I believe that FS wanted to make the navigation more intuitive for users by using "r" for "regions", though it is purely guesswork on my part.
; is now used for mouseover actions while radiobuttons cannot be naviged to by using the "a" key as Leonie pointed out.
Those of you who have websites with screen reader shortcuts, please revise if possible.
I know it is a pain in the unmentionables to have to add another complication to such tables, but I hope that the switch does help to promote landmarks as powerful navigational aids on well-designed websites and encourage users and web designers alike to take advantage of them.

On 8/21/14, Bim Egan < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> Thanks to both you and LĂ©onie. for the answer.
>
> Bim
>
>
> On 21/08/2014 10:54, timy sebastian wrote:
>> Letter A is the shortcut for the radio buttons in jaws 15.
>>
>>
>> >> >> list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>>
>
> > > list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>

--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.