WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Inaccessible mega menu and WCAG2

for

Date: Jan 16, 2015 8:25AM

I'd like to give my two cents for what it's worth. For me, I like the way menus and submenus currently work as it is the way most application menus work.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 8:18 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Inaccessible mega menu and WCAG2

Jonathan,

Sorry, but I am confused as to what you think is a good implementation of a drop down menu system. Do folks feel that the drop down implmentations that are generally supported by theaccessibility development community where the menu system is one tab stop and ARIA tags are suppported so the interface looks essentially like a native application are more usable by the end community then the menu at a site like
www.TempleRodefShalom.org?
Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 16, 2015, at 9:59 AM, Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

>> I know the accessibility community feels otherwise, but if I am always estatic if clicking on a top-level link takes me to the link.
>
> Mallory, I agree this makes perfect sense -- in practice we've had trouble fitting this into the menu/aria-expanded paradigm. One you indicate menu status as expand/collapse then activating the link to take you to another page no longer makes sense. In my opinion we are lacking a proper navigation paradigm in ARIA that would allow for this. We really need something like a button menu -- a composite control that can be activated directly and also has a pop up menu.
>
> Jonathan
>
> --
> Jonathan Avila
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> SSB BART Group
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Phone 703.637.8957
> Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of _mallory
> Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 10:12 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Inaccessible mega menu and WCAG2
>
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 03:27:52PM +0100, John Hicks wrote:
>> If you "click" (press enter) on the top level does the menu descend?
>
> I know the accessibility community feels otherwise, but if I am always estatic if clicking on a top-level link takes me to the link.
>
> It's an excellent fallback if, for some reason, some user, some combo of OS/UA/AT/whatever, the dropdowns can't be activated, because the link destination *should* have direct access to that stuff.
>
> But, my opinion as a frustrated web user.
>
> _mallory
> > > list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
> > > list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>