WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Email template

for

Date: Aug 20, 2015 11:36AM

Are you looking for a template for a group-mail service like Constant Contact?

I've found that most of the major group-mail services have one or two templates that can be used fairly effectively from an accessibility point of view. I've avoided anything using an embedded tables, lots of images and shy away from backgrounds.

The group-mail services also are (usually) setup to send both a HTML and plain text version depending on what the receiving person's settings are. You can usually auto-generate the text version (from the HTML version) and then view what the text version will look like before sending.

As these systems use tracking information, the links that will be generated in the body of the message will be rather long and complicated. You can sometimes shut tracking off, depending on the service.

But from my experience, there are specific things that need to be embedded in the template (e.g., footer code regarding unsubscribing, etc.) that are specific to the service you are using, so it would be hard to create a generalized template that could be used on all services. I've found that these extraneous codes are often the least accessible.

~j

John E. Brandt
jebswebs: accessible and universal web design,
development and consultation
<EMAIL REMOVED>
207-622-7937
Augusta, Maine, USA

@jebswebs
www.jebswebs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of L Snider
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:23 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Email template

Hi Everyone,

I am needing to produce an email that goes out to a bunch of people, and I want it to be accessible.

I am thinking of non-html email as this cuts out most issues. However, I could go html as well but it will take a lot more time to set it up properly...Does anyone have any recommendations, advice, etc.?

Thanks so much!

Lisa