E-mail List Archives

Re: WCAG Extensions

for

Date: Aug 21, 2015 12:33PM

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:27
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] WCAG Extensions

A split? Something that's okay to be somewhat stale for the lawyers and something that is aware of new technology and new needs and new services, for developers, vendors and spec-writers to lean on?

[KK]
IANAL, but as I understand it, that's how it already works for regulations:

"Incorporation by reference of a publication is limited to the edition of the publication that is approved. Future amendments or revisions of the publication are not included."[1]

So, once the regulation incorporates by reference, say, WCAG 2.0 as published on 11 December 2008[2], the W3C can extend, update, fold, spindle, or mangle their recommendations (to WCAG ∞) and it won't affect the regulation one jot.

I find it interesting that, to my knowledge, no federal agency has decided "Section 508 is getting long in the tooth -- let's use the Equivalent Facilitation clause[3] and choose WCAG 2.0 as our new accessibility standard."

Regards,

Kurt
Web Services
Franchise Tax Board
State of California

Citations:

[1]: 1 CFR §51.1(f)
[2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/
[3]: 36 CFR §1194.5

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or distribution, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.