WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF accessibility

for

Date: Nov 1, 2015 5:02AM

Ah, thanks for the reminder.
I keep forgetting that setting is there at the bottom of the Properties dialogue box.
I never have documents with different languages used for just one paragraph, they're always "homogenous," that is the entire PDF uses only one language.

--Bevi

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Karlen Communications
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 11:01 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PDF accessibility

We've had the ability to assign a language to a Tag for a long time...I think from the beginning of tagged PDF but don't quote me on that.

Select the Tag, for example <P> and right click or press the APpKey. Choose Properties and near the bottom of the dialog I'd the Language edit box.

When adaptive technology comes across the Content, my screen reader/JAWS switched synthesized voice to read the content as per the assigned language. Other AT should do this as well.

I recommend using plain vanilla language attributed like English, French or Spanish instead of localized language attributes.

The reason is that, for example English, I use a British voice. If the assigned language for the document it a Tag is English-US, my voice switches to American pronunciations which I'm not used to hearing. It takes me a while to get used to the pronunciations which affects comprehension. Same thing if someone is using American voice and is forced to listen to British pronunciations.

You can also affect the language of Alt Text on a <Figure> Tag but as of now we don't have the ability to assign language attributes to pieces of Alt Text. I foun the need to do this for people's names.

Cheers, Karen

Sent from my iPad