WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

javascript

for

Date: Aug 21, 2001 7:00AM

Hi All..
Thanks for the very informative information regarding logical event handlers.
Concerning client-side javascript generally, reading back through some forum emails, it seems that some feel javascript to be an inaccessible entity as a user may have javascript turned off on their computer.
In my mind, if a user chooses to turn off client-side javascript capabilites on their browser, then the resulting inaccessibility of certain websites is a diffferent issue as they have made this choice and can just as easily switch the javascript back on. What do others think about this?
In my mind, what is important in terms of making a website accessible to those with an impairment is making sure that any functionality provided by client-side javascript is also accessible to these users. I think the use of logical event handlers can solve a lot of these issues (maybe even the dhtml drop down menu problem - if the menus can be opened by the keyboard, the contents of each menu can be read by a screen reader, and the link opening the menu is described to indicate that this is what is does).
I like the idea of designing pages without javascript, and then including any at the end of the design process for "non-essential features." However, sometimes client-side javascript may be needed for an essential feature (for example the netscape resize fix for layers that dreamweaver provides). As long as such javascript isn't doing anything that someone with an impairment will miss out on, is it really inaccessible?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond - i know we are all very busy in our daily lives.
leo.

Leo Smith
USM Office of Publications and Marketing
207-780-4774