WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Series of PDF/UA video tutorials

for

Date: Mar 20, 2016 3:42AM

Hi Jon,

excellent content! Thanks very much for putting it together and sharing it.

One suggestion: could you put the explanation about the videos - as provided below - into the channel description? This would make it easier for interested people to figure out what to expect.

Other than that - keep ‘em coming!!!

Olaf

> On 20.03.2016, at 01:22, Jon Metz < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I just finished some initial videos for a series I'm starting on making a PDF/UA accessible PDF. This is actually the reason why I wasn't able to put anything together for #ACCESSIBEER this year. I was burning the candle at both ends!
>
> It seems like people can be confused about making PDFs accessible, and even more confused about what it takes to make a PDF ISO 14289 compliant, so I figured it might be helpful to provide some visual guidance on how to actually do it.
>
> This is my first time ever making a video, so I'm really sorry about the quality of the audio in the videos. Also, I need to format the captions on them a little better too. I'll fix those issues when I get a chance! You can check out the videos on Youtube here: https://youtu.be/BeFt-Qa3mjM?list=PLmfVOnJxeSEXsEKv2i20nYMHYuFEcl4fO
>
> If you want to follow along by using the files I used to do all this, you can feel free to download them here: http://bit.ly/mtzpdfua.
>
> The first video covers correctly formatting a Microsoft Word document so that it looks awesome as well as ensuring it looks the same on everyone else's computer. I would say the level of experience here would be beginner.
>
> The second video covers some core concepts surrounding tagging in PDF, including the nuances and frustrating aspects of using Adobe Acrobat Professional to do it.
>
> The third video shows how to take the Word document and turn it into an accessible PDF. This should be helpful if you don't necessarily need to (or can't) make something PDF/UA, but still need to make it accessible. In my opinion, this should be the litmus for what PDFs should look like when they're tagged for accessibility. This is probably a video for intermediate users, but if you're tagging PDFs now, you should be good to go.
>
> The fourth video covers the steps necessary to make a PDF ISO 14289 compliant. The content is a bit advanced, but I strived to make it as understandable as possible. As always, if you don't understand something in here, please feel free to reach out to me to clarify anything.
>
> I didn't have a chance to finish it because of CSUN, but I will be uploading a video in a couple weeks about how to validate your PDF for PDF/UA using some free tools that are out there.
>
> In the future, I want to make some videos on how to take a scanned OCR document and make it PDF/UA, as well as how to make tables and complex tables accessible in PDF.
>
> I hope these tutorials will be useful for anybody that wants to take their PDFs to the next level. If you're at CSUN, feel free to reach out to let me know your comments.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon Metz
>
>
> > > >