WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Question regarding objects in Microsoft Excel

for

Date: May 19, 2016 7:34AM

Jonathan -

Thank you for your response. Quick question - once I access the image from the list of objects, I am not able to access the alternative text. Is there a way to get this information?

KIM WEE | Webmaster and Accessibility Coordinator
MN.IT Services @ Education
651-582-8548 (w) | <EMAIL REMOVED>
Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:26 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Question regarding objects in Microsoft Excel

> Currently, our training has included adding alternative text to objects, such as images and charts, in a worksheet. After some additional research, and testing, I found that objects in Excel are not available to the keyboard only user or screen reader user - as the object is not in the "grid".

Objects are available to screen reader users. For example, JAWS users can press control+shift+o to access a list of objects. Keyboard only users can use home > find and select > selection pane to access a list of objects. Having said that -- knowing that these objects are there and accessing them is more difficult and not always apparent -- especially to screen reader users. Thus, an alternative method of access or instructions telling the user about the accessible objects would likely be needed to inform the user.

Best Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Wee, Kim (MNIT)
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:22 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Question regarding objects in Microsoft Excel

Hi all -

Looking for some input from the community regarding objects in Microsoft Excel.

Currently, our training has included adding alternative text to objects, such as images and charts, in a worksheet. After some additional research, and testing, I found that objects in Excel are not available to the keyboard only user or screen reader user - as the object is not in the "grid".

Therefore, what is the purpose of adding alternative text? Should we remove this part from our training and only include a section on adding alternative text within a cell so it is in the grid and hidden behind the object...but available via keyboard and to a screen reader?

Looking forward to your input.

KIM WEE | Webmaster and Accessibility Coordinator MN.IT Services @ Education
651-582-8548 (w) | <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >