WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Check Accessibility of Office Document...on a Mac

for

Date: May 22, 2016 8:29PM

Running Windows as a VM on the Mac is doable and relabel. You can use a screen reader in the VM environment as well. I do this on a regular bases for testing purposes.

Remapping the insert key is required to use the insert key. There is a good blog from Marco Ze that explains how to achieve this without using any remapping app in Windows.

The key with VM images is to allocate the correct resources.

Sean

> On 23 May 2016, at 10:14 AM, Dominic Capuano (gmail) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Elizabeth;
>
> Regarding Mac emulation of Windows it has been my experience that this does not work very well. Emulation is difficult to set up and very unreliable, (it crashes a lot). You also cannot use NVDA or JAWS as the MAC keyboard is not mapped in the same way, (there is no insert key on the MAC keyboard).
>
> It would be more cost effective for you to buy a mid-priced Windows machine than take the time to do emulation.
>
> Dominic Capuano
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> (h)(401) 726-2551
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Pyatt
> Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:56 AM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: [WebAIM] Check Accessibility of Office Document...on a Mac
>
> Hello:
>
> I think I may know the answer already, but is there any easy way to check the accessibility of any Office doc on the Mac platform?
>
> AFAIK:
>
> 1. The Mac version of Office does not yet have a built in accessibility checker. You have to manually check each image for ALT text and make sure your document is correctly structured with headings, clear link text, tables with headers….
>
> 2. The only other method I know of is to install a Windows emulator with Office for Windows. Then you can open your document and use the Windows built-in checker or any other Windows-powered Office checking tool.
>
> If I am missing anything, I would definitely love to know….
>
> Thanks
> Elizabeth
>
>
> Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
> Co-Chair Accessibility Technology and Information Committee
>
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> http://accessibility.psu.edu
>
>