WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility of Tableau data dashboards?

for

Date: May 23, 2016 6:08PM

> Does anyone know of a conceptual approach that can accommodate accessibility for data visualization (beyond alternative text or alternate -= text based - presentation forms)?

I've always envisioned a mode where the user can actually jump into the graph and move by nodes or points etc and explore the graph and find out information about it. This would seem to work best for di-graphs but could be applied other places. Each node would be an accessible object with properties that could be announced or queried with keyboards or other commands.

Taking that further into gamification -- it seems like even in a line chart you could actually turn the experience into an interactive 3d experience -- for example allow a user to ride the graph like a roller coaster to explore it's up and downs while hearing the values and change and seeing visual changes like you are going up and down. There are already audio projects to turn images and charts into 3D sounds but I haven't examined an visual emersion techniques. I'm sure people use things like this to model DNA, molecules and other 3D items-- but why not use it for traditional 2D items.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 1:16 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility of Tableau data dashboards?

Does anyone know of a conceptual approach that can accommodate accessibility for data visualization (beyond alternative text or alternate -= text based - presentation forms)?

> On 23.05.2016, at 18:44, Moore,Michael (Accessibility) (HHSC) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> If anyone knows of an accessible data visualization tool I would really appreciate it if you would share that information with this list.

Olaf