WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [WebAim] clarification required for few things about accessibility

for

Date: Jul 2, 2016 12:53AM

Hi,

1. the focus moves between controls like buttons, edit, etc by using the tab or shift tab in desktop applications. Visually it has a dotted rectangle around it. The rectangle could be different depending on the program. Basically the focus is the point of the program where you perform an action like canceling a dialog, editing information, etc.
2. The cursor (caret) is a blinking symbol that is used when editing documents, in edit fields or any other area that excepts inputs. caret is control by using the arrow keys, page up, page down, end and home. The mouse cursor is control my the mouse or trackpad. Used to move items around on the screen, select buttons from toolbar, draw and a range of other actions.
3. The best way to determine if it is an application issue is to remove the use of the assistive technology like Narrator and see if the same problem occurs. For example: You are selecting text via the keyboard and it does not work when you have narrator. When narrator is not present, the same keys work. Basically trial and error. If a screen reader lands on a button and the user only hears button. Then this is an iusse with the application not having correct labels. Using a different screen reader like Jaws and NVDA can confirm this.

I hope the examples and tips helps. Experience leans a lot towards known when it is an application or screen reader issue. I would suggest testing with another screen reader as Narrator is not feature rich yet.

Sean

> On 2 Jul 2016, at 12:57 PM, shankar shan < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> friends, greetings.
> many people assisting me to grow me in accessibility feeld. thanks for
> all your support
> as I am new to accessibility testing, I have few questions
> I am testing microsoft one note app on windows based computers using narrator.
>
> 1. what is the difference between the focus and the cursore position.
> 2. how can I differinsiat between screen reader complaints annd the
> app complaints.
> hope some 1 assist me in this.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> jammed and internet hanged?Reach through the following means:
> mobile: +91 9599194749