WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: what to do when <section> flags as accessibility error

for

Date: Dec 2, 2016 12:47PM

> Is there any impact to screen reader users by not being labeled? It is flagged as a level A error.

The ARIA 1.1 spec indicates that all regions must have an accessible name. Section directly maps to the region role.

Jonathan

But in all practicality it's not going to make a bit of difference to your users as long as have an h1 at the start of your content. You could possibly give that element a role="main" to make it clearer that this is where the main content is and preserve any impact to your css or js that may depend upon the existence of that section tag.

I would save any additional work for a major redesign when you would want to put in some really meaningful semantic html 5 region navigation across the site.

I think that as accessibility experts we often get a little too caught up in our role as standards auditors. Concentrating on the issues that pose real world problems for users is much more important. If yours is a very large site "fixing" what in my opinion is an inconsequential error could cost hundreds of man hours and really make it difficult for you to push for the more important changes on the site.

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Civil Rights Office
(512) 438-3431 (Office)