WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Running chrome add-ons from the keyboard/screen reader

for

Date: Dec 19, 2016 9:38AM

Hi Birkir,
I just tested the Wave plug-in in Chrome to see if I could duplicate the problem. After activating the Wave plug-in button, the Wave report panel was injected into the page at the top of the DOM. On my system, it took about 10 seconds for Wave plug-in to analyze the page and then inject the report panel into the page. Once the report panel was injected, I was able to read and interact with the content using an older version of NVDA and Chrome. The Wave panel appears to use semantic HTML and an ARIA tab panel widget for presenting its content.
HTH,
Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 10:40 AM
To: Blind accessibility testers
Cc: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Running chrome add-ons from the keyboard/screen reader

Greetings all
(sorry for any corss posting).

I have been trying to run various Chrome add-ons over the weekend and I always end up with my head stuck in the same old brick wall.
I do the following:
* Open the webpage in Chrome
* Press the alt key
* Press left arrow (this puts me in the Chrome extensions menu).
From here I can put focus on the plug-in I want to run (e.g. Wave).
But here is where I get stuck.
Pressing enter or space bar on this button doesn't do anything.
I can press the context menu key (shift-f10) and get a context menu for the add-on, such as going to its webpage, removing it from Chrome etc.), but there is no option to run the add-on.
I suspect that I am the problem here, and I am missing something "duh obvious", but I can't find out what.
I have tried this using NVDA and Jaws on Windows 7/8.
If anybody has the solution, can you post it?
I will do a write up for BATS and post it (I am way overdue writing one anyway).
Also I would be able to run a bunch of ac accessibility tools I've been wanting to test, that would be a nerdy Christmas present.
Cheers
-B
--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimers and conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses, confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers, available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email