WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Navigating Microsoft Outlook with Assistive Technology

for

Date: Jan 13, 2017 12:16PM

Kristina,

That's a complicated one for a documentation. It depends on what screen reader and what version of Outlook.

For example, there are differences between Outlook 2013 and 2016. The calendar in 2016 is not as easily navigable as 2013 and earlier versions even with JAWS 18.

If you are using Office 2007 you run into the issue of the ribbon bar in 2010 which changed the way JAWS reads with Outlook. I hate the ribbon bar so as many other screen reader users and even sighted users.

It is important to narrow down what version of Outlook and what version of a certain screen reader you want to use. Once you establish this, then both the Outlook short keys and screen reader script keys can be identified. To have a documentation that works for all is not as easy as you think.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of England, Kristina
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:48 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Navigating Microsoft Outlook with Assistive Technology

Hi everyone,

I know this one isn't web related, but I was wondering if anyone has documented steps on navigating Microsoft Outlook with a screen reader? We are building Microsoft Outlook training on organizing mailboxes and wanted to provide keyboarding steps.

Thanks!

Kristina