E-mail List Archives

WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 142, Issue 32

for

From: Ramakrishnan Subramanian
Date: Feb 1, 2017 12:36AM


Dear members,

regarding my question "in a modal dialog can the tab focus go to the browser UI?
"

please fine below more information:
this issue is happening in IE 11
Windows 7



On 1/31/17, <EMAIL REMOVED>
< <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> Send WebAIM-Forum mailing list submissions to
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://list.webaim.org/mailman/listinfo/webaim-forum
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of WebAIM-Forum digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Teaching APA and MLA style to blind students (Jim Allan)
> 2. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (Bossley, Peter A.)
> 3. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (JP Jamous)
> 4. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (Aaron Cannon)
> 5. Color contrast with images disabled - violation? (Preast, Vanessa)
> 6. Re: Color contrast with images disabled - violation? (JP Jamous)
> 7. Re: Color contrast with images disabled - violation?
> (Mr K M I Brown)
> 8. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (Bossley, Peter A.)
> 9. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (JP Jamous)
> 10. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (JP Jamous)
> 11. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (Aaron Cannon)
> 12. Re: Teaching APA and MLA style to blind students (rjaquiss)
> 13. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (Bossley, Peter A.)
> 14. Re: Radio Buttons Not Functioning (JP Jamous)
> 15. dropdown requirements? ( <EMAIL REMOVED> )
> 16. Re: dropdown requirements? (Rob Dodson)
> 17. Re: dropdown requirements? (Birkir R. Gunnarsson)
> 18. in a modal dialog can the tab focus go to the browser UI?
> (Ramakrishnan Subramanian)
> 19. Re: in a modal dialog can the tab focus go to the browser UI?
> (Birkir R. Gunnarsson)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:32:28 -0600
> From: Jim Allan < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED> , WebAIM Discussion List
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Teaching APA and MLA style to blind students
> Message-ID:
> <CA+=z1WnEFLAjSdvVmYsdLQJzX__S8jE+ <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> turning on all punctuation would be a good thing.
> from the Jaws Website:
> Many people don't realize however that there is a powerful feature of JAWS
> that can alert you to many different types of font information and even the
> type or state of Windows controls. Use the Speech and Sounds Manager dialog
> box, found in Settings Center, to customize how JAWS provides you with
> different types of information. Information is communicated by different
> JAWS voices or even audible sounds.
> http://doccenter.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/doccenter/rs25c51746a0cc/2012-06-20_TextFormatting/02_TextFormatting.htm
>
> providing a properly formatted braille document with citation examples
> could also be useful.
>
>
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Murray Inman (DZZEX54291) <
> <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>> Friendly greetings!
>> Do any of you know of any good resources for teaching and helping screen
>> reader users? We have many online students and have recently realized how
>> difficult it can be for blind students to learn and use the citation
>> formatting styles like APA and MLA required by their instructors.
>>
>> Web searches have been unfruitful thus far and we are considering
>> developing an alternate version of our help aid documents that spell out
>> the words for the required punctuation and styling. (For example,
>> "period",
>> "parenthesis", "italic", etc.).
>>
>> Do you instruct the students to change their verbosity settings to speak
>> all punctuation while working with the citation styles?
>>
>> Thanks you for your time and advice!
>>
>> [image: Rio Salado College Logo]
>> [image: Rio Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/RioSaladoCollege> [image:
>> Rio Twitter] <https://twitter.com/RioSaladoOnline> [image: Rio YouTube]
>> <http://www.youtube.com/user/riosaladocollege>; [image: Rio Google+]
>> <https://plus.google.com/+riosalado/about>
>> *Murray Inman*
>> Director, Instructional Media and Technology
>> Lead, Digital Accessibility Response Team
>> Tel: 480-517-8561 | Fax: 480-377-4817 | <EMAIL REMOVED>
>> 2323 W. 14th Street Tempe, AZ 85281 | www.riosalado.edu
>> ------------------------------
>> A Maricopa Community College
>> Strengths: Individualization
>> <http://classweb.riosalado.edu/murray.inman/StrengthsQuest/>; | Ideation
>> <http://classweb.riosalado.edu/murray.inman/StrengthsQuest/>; | Relator
>> <http://classweb.riosalado.edu/murray.inman/StrengthsQuest/>; |
>> Connectedness
>> <http://classweb.riosalado.edu/murray.inman/StrengthsQuest/>; | Input
>> <http://classweb.riosalado.edu/murray.inman/StrengthsQuest/>;
>> >> >> >> >>
>
>
>
> --
> Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator
> Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
> 1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
> voice 512.206.9315 fax: 512.206.9264 http://www.tsbvi.edu/
> "We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 20:14:15 +0000
> From: "Bossley, Peter A." < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
> triggering?
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of time
> or it would expire on me.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Swift, Daniel P.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>
> *big grin*
>
> All the best,
> Dan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>
>
>
> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
> handle that.
>
>
>
> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
> structure is in the DOM.
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio1">
>
> 1 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio2">
>
> 2 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
>
>
> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to toggle
> between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields have the
> same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is a different
> block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>
>
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 14:23:09 -0600
> From: "JP Jamous" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID: <00b701d27b36$ac6c8810$05459830$@Jepelsy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> No it does not.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
> triggering?
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of time
> or it would expire on me.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Swift, Daniel P.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>
> *big grin*
>
> All the best,
> Dan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>
>
>
> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
> handle that.
>
>
>
> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
> structure is in the DOM.
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio1">
>
> 1 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio2">
>
> 2 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
>
>
> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to toggle
> between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields have the
> same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is a different
> block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>
>
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 14:30:56 -0600
> From: Aaron Cannon < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> A couple things I might try: Can you look at the markup of one of the radio
> buttons that doesn't have focus? I'm just wondering if there is some JS that
> is setting the name when a radio button is focused or checked. Probably a
> longshot.
>
> Is this happening in more than one browser?
>
> Does anything happen differently if you turn off the virtual cursor mode
> with insert+z? Any difference with NVDA? Again these are longshots.
>
> Luck.
>
> Aaron
>
> --
> This message was sent from a mobile device
>
>
>> On Jan 30, 2017, at 14:23, JP Jamous < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> No it does not.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
>> Of Bossley, Peter A.
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
>> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
>> triggering?
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
>> Of JP Jamous
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of
>> time or it would expire on me.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
>> Of Swift, Daniel P.
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
>> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>>
>> *big grin*
>>
>> All the best,
>> Dan
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
>> Of JP Jamous
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
>> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>>
>>
>> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
>> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
>> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>>
>>
>>
>> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
>> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
>> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
>> handle that.
>>
>>
>>
>> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
>> structure is in the DOM.
>>
>>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>>
>> </div>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <label for="radio1">
>>
>> 1 year plan
>>
>> </label>
>>
>> </div>
>>
>>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>>
>> </div>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <label for="radio2">
>>
>> 2 year plan
>>
>> </label>
>>
>> </div>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to
>> toggle between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields
>> have the same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is
>> a different block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>>
>>
>>
>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> >> >> at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >> >> >> at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >>
>> >> >> at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >> >> >> at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >>
>> >> >> >> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 20:46:18 +0000
> From: "Preast, Vanessa" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] Color contrast with images disabled - violation?
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm an intermediate to advanced novice when it comes to analyzing web
> content. Using the WAVE tool, I'm seeing some color contrast errors I'm not
> sure how to advise fixing.
>
> There are some areas <div> which have white text on top of an image with the
> predominant color of #51B9A2. WAVE seems to pick up on the text color and
> the light grey background behind the image. If I disable images (using a
> web-developer plugin), I am able to see the grey background within <div>. So
> it seems that there is color contrast with both the text and image as well
> as the text and the <div> background.
>
>
> * Text that does not sufficiently contrast with the background image is
> a color contrast failure, right?
> * If there is sufficient color contrast between text and image, must it
> also have sufficient contrast with the background color of the <div>?
>
> My plan is to advise the webmaster to darken the background images to ensure
> color contrast is sufficient between foreground text and background image. I
> also would like to advise that the background under the image within the
> <div> is also made to have sufficient contrast in case someone turns off the
> images. Is this appropriate advice?
>
> Best,
> Vanessa
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 14:52:36 -0600
> From: "JP Jamous" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Color contrast with images disabled - violation?
> Message-ID: <00c301d27b3a$ca61c390$5f254ab0$@Jepelsy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Answers below.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Preast, Vanessa
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:46 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] Color contrast with images disabled - violation?
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm an intermediate to advanced novice when it comes to analyzing web
> content. Using the WAVE tool, I'm seeing some color contrast errors I'm not
> sure how to advise fixing.
>
> There are some areas <div> which have white text on top of an image with the
> predominant color of #51B9A2. WAVE seems to pick up on the text color and
> the light grey background behind the image. If I disable images (using a
> web-developer plugin), I am able to see the grey background within <div>. So
> it seems that there is color contrast with both the text and image as well
> as the text and the <div> background.
>
>
> * Text that does not sufficiently contrast with the background image is
> a color contrast failure, right?
> Correct
>
> * If there is sufficient color contrast between text and image, must it
> also have sufficient contrast with the background color of the <div>?
> It is best if the image background and Div background colors are similar. If
> not, make sure that the image background color is less than the text in the
> image by 4.5:1
>
>
> My plan is to advise the webmaster to darken the background images to ensure
> color contrast is sufficient between foreground text and background image. I
> also would like to advise that the background under the image within the
> <div> is also made to have sufficient contrast in case someone turns off the
> images. Is this appropriate advice?
> Absolutely.
> Best,
> Vanessa
>
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 20:54:33 +0000
> From: Mr K M I Brown < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Color contrast with images disabled - violation?
> Message-ID: < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Hi Vanessa,
>
> I'd flag both as failures. The image is easier for the designers and
> developers to see.
>
> If there is a background colour that shows when the image fails to load, it
> becomes the background for the text so there needs to be a sufficient
> contrast. An image can fail due to size, network speed, the author failing
> to load one in, etc. I've been having that conversation with a client today
> who wants default text to be white on top of an image, with no background
> colour, and only by switching images off did they realize that might not be
> a great idea.
>
> For images the contrast is wherever the text is above the image. When I get
> home I'll dig out an online image/text checker which has been useful at the
> office.
>
> All the best,
> Karl
>
> On 30 January 2017, at 20:46, "Preast, Vanessa" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm an intermediate to advanced novice when it comes to analyzing web
> content. Using the WAVE tool, I'm seeing some color contrast errors I'm not
> sure how to advise fixing.
>
> There are some areas <div> which have white text on top of an image with the
> predominant color of #51B9A2. WAVE seems to pick up on the text color and
> the light grey background behind the image. If I disable images (using a
> web-developer plugin), I am able to see the grey background within <div>. So
> it seems that there is color contrast with both the text and image as well
> as the text and the <div> background.
>
>
> * Text that does not sufficiently contrast with the background image is
> a color contrast failure, right?
> * If there is sufficient color contrast between text and image, must it
> also have sufficient contrast with the background color of the <div>?
>
> My plan is to advise the webmaster to darken the background images to ensure
> color contrast is sufficient between foreground text and background image. I
> also would like to advise that the background under the image within the
> <div> is also made to have sufficient contrast in case someone turns off the
> images. Is this appropriate advice?
>
> Best,
> Vanessa
>
>
> > > > >
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 21:46:34 +0000
> From: "Bossley, Peter A." < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> That's odd. Is there a place you can link to that is showing this behavior
> live? It is going to be difficult to tell much without being able to look at
> the code live.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:23 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> No it does not.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
> triggering?
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of time
> or it would expire on me.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Swift, Daniel P.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>
> *big grin*
>
> All the best,
> Dan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>
>
>
> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
> handle that.
>
>
>
> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
> structure is in the DOM.
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio1">
>
> 1 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio2">
>
> 2 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
>
>
> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to toggle
> between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields have the
> same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is a different
> block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>
>
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:22:25 -0600
> From: "JP Jamous" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID: <002201d27b47$574d3da0$05e7b8e0$@Jepelsy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Peter,
>
> I hate to say this, but no. It is in QA and requires certain credentials to
> allow access. Sorry.
>
> I will dissect it later to try to identify what the cause really is. I just
> wanted to real quickly on here see if any of you had something similar in
> the past.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:47 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> That's odd. Is there a place you can link to that is showing this behavior
> live? It is going to be difficult to tell much without being able to look at
> the code live.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:23 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> No it does not.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
> triggering?
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of time
> or it would expire on me.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Swift, Daniel P.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>
> *big grin*
>
> All the best,
> Dan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>
>
>
> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
> handle that.
>
>
>
> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
> structure is in the DOM.
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio1">
>
> 1 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio2">
>
> 2 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
>
>
> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to toggle
> between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields have the
> same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is a different
> block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>
>
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:27:04 -0600
> From: "JP Jamous" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID: <002301d27b47$fbfd9480$f3f8bd80$@Jepelsy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Thank you Aaron. I want to keep it as the default for JAWS and NVDA. I did
> not test it with NVDA, but I will tomorrow.
>
> It is weird, but I am sure that something is making the SR become stuck on
> one radio button in forms mode.
>
> That's old markup though. We have more accessible markup in our pattern
> library. It won't stop me from making the page accessible, I just think it
> is interesting as to why it is locking the SR on one radio button.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Aaron Cannon
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:31 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> A couple things I might try: Can you look at the markup of one of the radio
> buttons that doesn't have focus? I'm just wondering if there is some JS that
> is setting the name when a radio button is focused or checked. Probably a
> longshot.
>
> Is this happening in more than one browser?
>
> Does anything happen differently if you turn off the virtual cursor mode
> with insert+z? Any difference with NVDA? Again these are longshots.
>
> Luck.
>
> Aaron
>
> --
> This message was sent from a mobile device
>
>
>> On Jan 30, 2017, at 14:23, JP Jamous < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> No it does not.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
>> Of Bossley, Peter A.
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
>> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
>> triggering?
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
>> Behalf Of JP Jamous
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of
>> time or it would expire on me.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
>> Of Swift, Daniel P.
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
>> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>>
>> *big grin*
>>
>> All the best,
>> Dan
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
>> Behalf Of JP Jamous
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
>> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>>
>>
>> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
>> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
>> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>>
>>
>>
>> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
>> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
>> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
>> handle that.
>>
>>
>>
>> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
>> structure is in the DOM.
>>
>>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>>
>> </div>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <label for="radio1">
>>
>> 1 year plan
>>
>> </label>
>>
>> </div>
>>
>>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>>
>> </div>
>>
>> <div>
>>
>> <label for="radio2">
>>
>> 2 year plan
>>
>> </label>
>>
>> </div>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to
>> toggle between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields
>> have the same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is
>> a different block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>>
>>
>>
>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> >> >> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >> >> >> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >>
>> >> >> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >> >> >> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >>
>> >> >> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:46:22 -0600
> From: Aaron Cannon < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID:
> <CAERFoOhjNP-OWA6R2EaDo= <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> You wrote:
> "Thank you Aaron. I want to keep it as the default for JAWS and NVDA."
>
> I understand. The only reason I suggested doing the other
> non-standard things was just for helping to troubleshoot what was
> going on. I wasn't suggesting that that is what the end-user should
> be expected to do.
>
> Let us know what you discover.
>
> Aaron
>
> On 1/30/17, JP Jamous < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>> Thank you Aaron. I want to keep it as the default for JAWS and NVDA. I did
>> not test it with NVDA, but I will tomorrow.
>>
>> It is weird, but I am sure that something is making the SR become stuck on
>> one radio button in forms mode.
>>
>> That's old markup though. We have more accessible markup in our pattern
>> library. It won't stop me from making the page accessible, I just think it
>> is interesting as to why it is locking the SR on one radio button.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
>> Of Aaron Cannon
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:31 PM
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>
>> A couple things I might try: Can you look at the markup of one of the
>> radio
>> buttons that doesn't have focus? I'm just wondering if there is some JS
>> that
>> is setting the name when a radio button is focused or checked. Probably a
>> longshot.
>>
>> Is this happening in more than one browser?
>>
>> Does anything happen differently if you turn off the virtual cursor mode
>> with insert+z? Any difference with NVDA? Again these are longshots.
>>
>> Luck.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> --
>> This message was sent from a mobile device
>>
>>
>>> On Jan 30, 2017, at 14:23, JP Jamous < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>>
>>> No it does not.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
>>> Behalf
>>> Of Bossley, Peter A.
>>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
>>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>>
>>> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number
>>> of
>>> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
>>> triggering?
>>>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
>>> Behalf Of JP Jamous
>>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
>>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>>
>>> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of
>>> time or it would expire on me.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
>>> Behalf
>>> Of Swift, Daniel P.
>>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
>>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>>> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>>
>>> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not
>>> just
>>> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>>>
>>> *big grin*
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Dan
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
>>> Behalf Of JP Jamous
>>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
>>> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
>>> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
>>> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
>>> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
>>> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
>>> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
>>> handle that.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how
>>> the
>>> structure is in the DOM.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> <div>
>>>
>>> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>>>
>>> </div>
>>>
>>> <div>
>>>
>>> <label for="radio1">
>>>
>>> 1 year plan
>>>
>>> </label>
>>>
>>> </div>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> <div>
>>>
>>> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>>>
>>> </div>
>>>
>>> <div>
>>>
>>> <label for="radio2">
>>>
>>> 2 year plan
>>>
>>> </label>
>>>
>>> </div>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to
>>> toggle between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input
>>> fields
>>> have the same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is
>>> a different block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> What are your thoughts?
>>>
>>> >>> >>> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>>> >>> >>> >>> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>>> >>>
>>> >>> >>> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>>> >>> >>> >>> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>>> >>>
>>> >>> >>> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>>> >> >> >> at
>> http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>> >>
>> >> >> >> >>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:42:59 -0800
> From: "rjaquiss" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Teaching APA and MLA style to blind students
> Message-ID: <000501d27b52$971fbce0$c55f36a0$@earthlink.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hello:
>
> If Word can be used to create the document, it is my understanding that
> there are add-ins that insert the citations in the proper format. I have
> never used this type of add-in, so no clue if they are accessible.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 13
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:56:16 +0000
> From: "Bossley, Peter A." < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> My bet is on Aaron's guess- something is causing the radio group to get out
> of spec or there is script causing the selection of the radio button to not
> behave normally.
> By chance what happens without the screen reader running, can you tab to the
> group, select an item, and then move it around via arrow key?
>
> Peter Bossley
> Director, Digital Accessibility Center
> ADA Coordinator's Office | Office of University Compliance and Integrity
> Student Life Disability Services
> The Ohio State University
> 098 Baker Hall, 113 W. 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
> 614-292-1760 Office
> <EMAIL REMOVED> accessibility.osu.edu
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 5:22 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Peter,
>
> I hate to say this, but no. It is in QA and requires certain credentials to
> allow access. Sorry.
>
> I will dissect it later to try to identify what the cause really is. I just
> wanted to real quickly on here see if any of you had something similar in
> the past.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:47 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> That's odd. Is there a place you can link to that is showing this behavior
> live? It is going to be difficult to tell much without being able to look at
> the code live.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:23 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> No it does not.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
> triggering?
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of time
> or it would expire on me.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Swift, Daniel P.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>
> *big grin*
>
> All the best,
> Dan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>
>
>
> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
> handle that.
>
>
>
> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
> structure is in the DOM.
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio1">
>
> 1 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio2">
>
> 2 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
>
>
> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to toggle
> between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields have the
> same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is a different
> block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>
>
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 14
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:22:56 -0600
> From: "JP Jamous" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
> Message-ID: <011b01d27bd5$e6a72590$b3f570b0$@Jepelsy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> With another page that kind of acted similarly to this one, yes the keyboard
> focus was placed on different radio buttons through arrow keys.
>
> I do not want to mix this issue with the other page. I do agree with Aaron.
> I will be back soon on that project and will investigate deeper what the
> heck is occurring.
>
> To answer your question though, I don't know as I did not have someone
> sighted to assist me with this one. I also did not test it with NVDA and
> Firefox to find out if it is more of a JAWS issue with internet explorer.
>
> I will get back with you folks regarding it once I dissect the DOM.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:56 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> My bet is on Aaron's guess- something is causing the radio group to get out
> of spec or there is script causing the selection of the radio button to not
> behave normally.
> By chance what happens without the screen reader running, can you tab to the
> group, select an item, and then move it around via arrow key?
>
> Peter Bossley
> Director, Digital Accessibility Center
> ADA Coordinator's Office | Office of University Compliance and Integrity
> Student Life Disability Services The Ohio State University
> 098 Baker Hall, 113 W. 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
> 614-292-1760 Office
> <EMAIL REMOVED> accessibility.osu.edu
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 5:22 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Peter,
>
> I hate to say this, but no. It is in QA and requires certain credentials to
> allow access. Sorry.
>
> I will dissect it later to try to identify what the cause really is. I just
> wanted to real quickly on here see if any of you had something similar in
> the past.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:47 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> That's odd. Is there a place you can link to that is showing this behavior
> live? It is going to be difficult to tell much without being able to look at
> the code live.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:23 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> No it does not.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Bossley, Peter A.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> When you tab onto the radio group, does jaws properly report the number of
> options in the radio grouping and make the sound to indicate forms mode
> triggering?
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:11 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I am only auditing and this is a nasty dynamic page. I have N amount of time
> or it would expire on me.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of Swift, Daniel P.
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> I don't think this is the answer that you are looking for --- why not just
> remove the divs and style the input/labels as appropriate?
>
> *big grin*
>
> All the best,
> Dan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf
> Of JP Jamous
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:36 AM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: [WebAIM] Radio Buttons Not Functioning
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I have various radio buttons that populate dynamically, which is not an
> issue. However, if I go into forms mode, JAWS is unable to toggle between
> the radio buttons using arrow keys.
>
>
>
> 1. Proper HTML semantic is being used.
> 2. Input fields have the same unique name.
> 3. No tabindex on any of the radio buttons, leaving the browser to
> handle that.
>
>
>
> The only thing that popped up at me was separate div tags. Here is how the
> structure is in the DOM.
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio1" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio1">
>
> 1 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
> <div>
>
> <input type="radio" id="radio2" name="offer" />
>
> </div>
>
> <div>
>
> <label for="radio2">
>
> 2 year plan
>
> </label>
>
> </div>
>
>
>
>
>
> My assumption is that the div tags are causing JAWS not to be able to toggle
> between the radio buttons via arrow keys. Although the input fields have the
> same name attribute, the div is identifying to JAWS that this is a different
> block of HTML. Therefore, the arrow key script is failing.
>
>
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 15
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 16:46:27 +0000
> From: < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] dropdown requirements?
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi-
> I am wondering if there are any requirements regarding dropdowns? Should
> you be able to arrow through controls, tab, or both?
> Thanks.
> Anne
>
>
> Anne Naber
> Legal UX- accessibility specialist
> 651-687-6214
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 16
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 17:55:15 +0000
> From: Rob Dodson < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] dropdown requirements?
> Message-ID:
> <CAJj5OwCYD3Rx5uY4PGWrZDCVeFo+Re+ <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe for a dropdown you'd want
> to use the behavior described in the ARIA menu button pattern
> https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/#menubutton
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:46 AM < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>> Hi-
>> I am wondering if there are any requirements regarding dropdowns? Should
>> you be able to arrow through controls, tab, or both?
>> Thanks.
>> Anne
>>
>>
>> Anne Naber
>> Legal UX- accessibility specialist
>> 651-687-6214 <(651)%20687-6214>
>> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>> >> >> >> >>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 17
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 13:19:15 -0500
> From: "Birkir R. Gunnarsson" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: Rob Dodson < <EMAIL REMOVED> >, WebAIM Discussion List
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] dropdown requirements?
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> What do you mean by "dropdown"
> Do you mean a typical dropdown element , such as one coded using the
> <select> element in HTML (the corresponding ARIA Authoring Practices
> 1.1 entry for that is Listbox).
> Menu buttons rae slightly different, so are tabs, though tabs behave
> almost ike dropdowns with respect to keyboard navigation (except
> horizontal tabs should be operated with right and left arrows, typical
> dropdowns should always be vertical and operated with rrows up/down).
> Check the ARIA Authoring Practices spec entries for listbox, tabs and
> menubutton to get a feel for the differences.
> If you can code your dropdown using the <select> element, most of yur
> accessibility worries are over, just label it correctly.
> You can navigate through it with the arrow keys.
>
> You need to be careful when selecting an option in the dropdown causes
> page content to be updated.
> If you use the onchange event, you cannot automatically move the focus
> away from the dropdown, load another webpage or update content that is
> not screen reader discoverable (content that comes, in content order,
> before the dropdown).
> To do these things, you need to place a button next to the dropdown
> that user can click to initiate those types of changes.
> You can check WCAG 3.2.2 for more details.
>
>
>
> On 1/31/17, Rob Dodson via WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> wrote:
>> Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe for a dropdown you'd want
>> to use the behavior described in the ARIA menu button pattern
>> https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/#menubutton
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:46 AM < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi-
>>> I am wondering if there are any requirements regarding dropdowns? Should
>>> you be able to arrow through controls, tab, or both?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Anne
>>>
>>>
>>> Anne Naber
>>> Legal UX- accessibility specialist
>>> 651-687-6214 <(651)%20687-6214>
>>> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>>> >>> >>> >>> >>>
>> >> >> >> >>
>
>
> --
> Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 18
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 23:49:31 +0530
> From: Ramakrishnan Subramanian < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: [WebAIM] in a modal dialog can the tab focus go to the
> browser UI?
> Message-ID:
> <CAMDNBzB+ <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Dear members,
> I kindly request your inputs on the following scenario as per the WCAG
> guideline and aria authorization practice:
>
> Actual behavior:
> In a modal dialog while navigating using tab /shift tab keys: though
> the focus is trapped inside the dialog, when we hit tab key from the
> last focusable element inside the dialog, the focus is going to the
> browser UI.
> Expected behavior:
> 1. When we hit tab from the last focusable element, the focus should
> go to the first focusable element inside the dialog.
> 2. when we hit shift tab from the first focusable element, the focus
> should go to the last focusable element inside the dialog.
>
> Is this only a best practice? Or
> Is this mandatory to pause wecag guidelines?
>
> : should we flag this as bug as per wcag and aria authorization?
> If the developers feel that this is something which is a browser
> behavior which need not be altered.
> Is that fine?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Ramakrishnan
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 19
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 13:26:03 -0500
> From: "Birkir R. Gunnarsson" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] in a modal dialog can the tab focus go to the
> browser UI?
> Message-ID:
> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> The ARIA Authoring Practices guide is not normative (i.e. it is not a
> fflat out violation when its recommendations are not followed).
> That being said, it is the model that we should always follow whe
> constructing custom components.
> When there is a significant deviation from that spec we should explore
> it, ask ourselves if the users are likely to be affected, and file an
> issue if we feel this is the case.
> In this case, the spec recommends that the focus order is trapped
> inside the dialog, as you describe very well.
> I don't know why the focus is escaping out to the address bar, it does
> ot in this example for instance:
> https://dequeuniversity.com/library/aria/popups-dialogs/sf-modal-dialog
> What browser are you using? It could be a browser thing.
>
>
>
> On 1/31/17, Ramakrishnan Subramanian < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>> Dear members,
>> I kindly request your inputs on the following scenario as per the WCAG
>> guideline and aria authorization practice:
>>
>> Actual behavior:
>> In a modal dialog while navigating using tab /shift tab keys: though
>> the focus is trapped inside the dialog, when we hit tab key from the
>> last focusable element inside the dialog, the focus is going to the
>> browser UI.
>> Expected behavior:
>> 1. When we hit tab from the last focusable element, the focus should
>> go to the first focusable element inside the dialog.
>> 2. when we hit shift tab from the first focusable element, the focus
>> should go to the last focusable element inside the dialog.
>>
>> Is this only a best practice? Or
>> Is this mandatory to pause wecag guidelines?
>>
>> : should we flag this as bug as per wcag and aria authorization?
>> If the developers feel that this is something which is a browser
>> behavior which need not be altered.
>> Is that fine?
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Ramakrishnan
>> >> >> >> >>
>
>
> --
> Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> > > > >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 142, Issue 32
> *********************************************
>


--
Thanks and Regards,
Ramakrishnan