WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Regarding a dialog box

for

Date: Feb 16, 2017 5:55AM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the link!

By going through the link, I understood that there is neither a name nor the description for dialog, and Focus is perfectly set to it. As far as ARIA tags for the same is concerned, I've been learning of it gradually since the day I joined this forum; therefore, I can't comment on these confidently. All I know that JAWS does not read out the complete information in it automatically. I wanted it to be reported as a miner bug actually.

-----Original Message

-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Bryan Garaventa
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:38 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Regarding a dialog box

Hi,
Does the element with role=dialog also include aria-label or aria-labelledby plus aria-describedby, and is focus moved inside of the dialog container when rendered?

All of these are required to set the Name of the dialog plus the Description, and focusing into the dialog should cause these to be announced.

These attributes are mapped out here for reference:
http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/#dialog

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
SSB BART Group, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.SSBBartGroup.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Surendra
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:09 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Regarding a dialog box

Hi all,

Greetings from India!

I just encountered a dialog box having 3 buttons along with some information in plain text wherein JAWS says only 'Dialog' as it is launched. For me, this is a bug, as it does not automatically read out the main information in this dialog box; however, I can easily navigate through the same using Arrow keys. But according to my observation, an accessible dialog box is automatically read in full by JAWS. Reading only 'Dialog' does not make any sense. What do you think? Should this be a bug? At least a miner bug?