WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Wcag 2.1

for

Date: May 11, 2017 6:17AM

My understanding is that when WCAG 2.1 becomes a technical recommendation, there isn't any requirement for laws to update to that version. That will be up to whatever political entities have the legislative power to change the laws.

Also, by the time WCAG 2.1 is close to becoming an official recommendation, it will not be undergoing any more changes. However, I expect for most political entities, they will want to wait until the specification is completed before they look into altering their laws to incorporate it. While WCAG 2.1 has a timeline, that is just the plan--and few plans survive contact with reality.

I am sure we have people on this list more fully involved with W3C and the process of creating WCAG 2.1 that can give better and more accurate information--but that is my understanding of things--well, my last comment about when laws might be updated is more an opinion about how legislative bodies are likely to react.

Thanks,
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of JP Jamous
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:55 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Wcag 2.1

I don't know of any company or organization that is pushing for 2.1 since it is not official yet. It would be nice to get a head start on it, but what if they continue to refine it to the last set of weeks before the official release. That would only backfire on the organization's SDLC.
-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Lisa Snider
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:47 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Wcag 2.1

I hear ya! I was also wondering if there is new legislation being written, whether we should push for 2.1 now so by the time it is written it will include it?

Cheers

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 11, 2017, at 8:42 AM, JP Jamous < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> That will probably take another 10 years. *Smiles*
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
> Behalf Of Lisa Snider
> Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:39 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] Wcag 2.1
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> With wcag 2.1 going to happen in a year or so, will governments have to change legislation that relies on wcag to update from wcag 2.0?
>
> Cheers
>
> Lisa
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>