WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Web development; How to identify if a screen reader is in use

for

Date: May 11, 2017 10:09AM

Hi, all.

Automatic detection of assistive technology presents problems in my world. We cannot legally "out" someone with a disability and this approach has the potential to do that. This would certainly be an issue for our lawyers if it existed on any sort of application materials for attending or working at our institution.

Even if it comes from good intentions, I am loathe to support an idea that results in a "separate, but equal" experience.

Hope you have a good day,
Rachel

Dr. Rachel S. Thompson 
Director, Emerging Technology and Accessibility 
The Center for Instructional Technology 
The University of Alabama
110 Russell Hall
Box 870248 
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 
Phone 205-348-0216
<EMAIL REMOVED> | http://cit.ua.edu | http://accessibility.ua.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:58 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Web development; How to identify if a screen reader is in use

Hi John,

Not for Web Accessibility. On iOS, we have the ability to detect whether or not assistive technologies like VoiceOver are running, but this is only through native applications. I remember discussions about how people would feel if developers could detect whether or not they're using a screen reader, magnifier, or other AT. I don't recall what came out of those discussions.

I gave a talk about data and accessibility and how we're unable to get numbers related to screen reader usage. If we could, would we use it to "water down" the experience? We are firm believers at Capital One in providing an inclusive and enriching experience regardless of disability.

I think it's time to discuss this very topic again. Thanks for bringing it up.

Nick Beranek
Capital One

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of John Contarino x245
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:48 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Web development; How to identify if a screen reader is in use

Hi,
Is it possible in web site development to identify if a screen reader is in use by the end user?
Similar to how different browsers are identified and can be interpreted in code based on browser.
Thanks.

John Contarino
Programmer Analyst

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.