WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Detecting SVG imags

for

Date: Jun 7, 2017 4:39PM

Hi Birkir,

JAWS 17 reads an SVG <title> element by default for me, but not the <desc> element. I'm unsure how to make it read the <desc> element, but I'd like to know if it's possible. Because <desc> is the functional equivalent to the "longdesc" attribute, I'm not keen on its level of support.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 2:54 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Detecting SVG imags

Greetings all

I am writing up an image accessibility test guide for our UAT team.
I want them to easily detect use of SVG images (we have started using them on some domains and we are expanding the use to others).

Is there a way for them, other than looking at the source code of images, or by detecting all HTML and CSS images first), to identify an <svg> image?

Do any accessibility tools or bookmarklets mark SVG images specifically or expose their alternative text (the contents of the <title>or <desc> elements)?
For the purpose of this exercise, let's assume the <svg> tag does not have role="img".

Thanks
-B

--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.