WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility Cost Benefit Analysis Model

for

Date: Jul 17, 2017 9:12AM

Peter, have you looked at the Regulatory Impact Analysis that the US Access Board had commissioned as part of the Section 508 refresh?

https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh/final-regulatory-impact-analysis

Phil Jenkins @ IBM also put together a costing model for accessibility
https://www-03.ibm.com/able/education/downloads/IBM_WCAG_2.0_Compliance_Costing_Model_CSUN13.pdf

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Peter Shikli
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:02 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessibility Cost Benefit Analysis Model

The legal beagles have passed word to me that the new administration is bringing to bear cost-benefit analysis as part of enforcing Section 508 and other accessibility rules, that is, judges are being asked to consider cost and benefit as part of their rulings. If this is true, I would like to explore what spreadsheet-based cost-benefit models exist for online accessibility.

I've uncovered (dated) reports like
g3ict.org/download/p/fileId_938/productId_248 that discuss the topic, but not a model into which a particular accessibility issue can plug its what-if scenarios. For example, I'm looking for a model that includes the added cost of providing support for a blind website visitor unable to use the inaccessible self-serve option on a website, or the productivity benefit of an employed blind person able to use an online resource, or the sales increase of blind customers able to buy products online -- all that in comparison to the remediation cost of providing accessibility.

Has anyone heard of such a spreadsheet-based cost-benefit model reflecting current factors?

Cheers,
Peter Shikli