WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Navigating from tab to tab panel

for

Date: Sep 28, 2017 1:52AM

The language does make this confusing and I think you misunderstood me Sailesh. In the non-working solution I mentioned, it is the tab buttons that are temporarily hidden, not the tab panels. As you say, the closed tab panels are always hidden. I say "temporarily" because that seems to be the intent, except the developers seem to have forgotten to unhide them. The idea behind this approach is that when the screen reader user opens a tab panel by activating its tab button, it appears as if the tab panel comes immediately after its tab button. No need to go through the other buttons to get there. I think this is a good idea, but it involves unhiding the hidden tab buttons after the user has moved. Now that I think about this even more though, I guess its possible that a user may decide to open a different panel before moving (say they realise they accidentally clicked the wrong tab button, or they just change their mind). Having to move away and back again in order to make the other tab buttons spring back into life would be strange to say the least and it would be obvious that there is some kind of voodoo going on, which is always a bit disconcerting I think.

Anyways, thanks guys for the suggestions.

Mark

Mark Magennis | Accessibility Support Manager
InterAccess.ie <http://interaccess.ie/>; - Accessible UX

> On 27 Sep 2017, at 17:42, Sailesh Panchang < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> wrote:
>
> Mark,
> The tab panels all (except the active tab) have to be hidden ie. not
> rendered for all users so display: none should be toggled. No use for
> aria-hidden IMO.