WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Carousel next and previous buttons

for

Date: Dec 21, 2017 12:19PM

Ultimately, I would prefer to rely on user testing. I see your point(s), but just don't know what the majority of users would prefer. ...and to your point, if there are "jump buttons" (typically small buttons each of which jump the carousel to one slide), then there is a mechanism for going to a particular slide without having to rely on prev/next.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:13 PM
To: Lovely, Brian < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Carousel next and previous buttons

Hi Brian,

You raise a good point but there are some considerations giving me pause.

First, when a user clicks a button I assume they want something to happen, rather than nothing, that we all want some kind of immediate feedback that activating the button has worked as intended. Secondly, I would would want to hear which slide I'm on, at least, and presumably also the heading or title of the slide (otherwise I'd have to memorize which slide is which). I also think on first encountering the carousel, assuming I don't want to skip it altogether, I may want to advance through all slides first, listening to their content, before I get to a point where I know I want to advance from the current slide to slide 6.

If prev/next buttons are also supplemented with arrow key functionality then these could work as an easy method to get from the current slide to slide 6, advancing the slides but bypassing all content but slide number and heading? Meanwhile, prev/next buttons could assume the user wants to hear each slide content?

What do you think?

Rob C

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.