WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Making mobile view available to all as way of constraining a11y testing costs

for

Date: Jan 5, 2018 3:43PM

> The issue of automated tests is interesting. I don't find automated tools particularly useful so my experience of them is relatively limited, but I was surprised to find that SortSite gave exactly the same results on a recent project regardless of the viewport dimensions. For instance, it reported non-compliances that only occurred in the mobile layout even though the desktop layout was being displayed.

Our AMP platform allows you to specify some different devices when crawling a site so the headless browser can use different viewport widths and thus perform automated spider testing at several different breakpoints. The browser based automated tool Access Assistant tests currently what is visible in the browser -- so it will test at the breakpoint displayed.

> I had never thought about this before and I'm not sure if this is a serious fault or not. I also don't know if other tools do the same. One definite downside is that it reports duplicate IDs even if only one of the two elements is displayed at any time (the other being hidden with display:none).

Duplicate ids even when hidden are something that need to be checked for. That is because aria-labelledby and aria-describedby can reference content that is display:none.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.