WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Contrast Question for 1.4.3

for

Date: Jan 18, 2018 9:32AM

Hi Peter, we interpret font-weight: bold to equal 700 and, therefore, require 14pt 700 for 3 to 1 ratio consideration.

The following link is a reference guide that should help you: http://htmldog.com/references/css/properties/font-weight/

Nick Beranek
Capital One

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Peter Quale
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:27 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Contrast Question for 1.4.3

Apologies if this is covered in the list archives, but I did some searching and can find nothing there, nor any concrete information in Google searches.

When a style sheet uses relative bold weights like 300, 500, 700, is there a good number to assume a "medium bold" font is bold enough to only require a 3 to 1 contrast? Of course, many thin fonts will never be bold enough, but assuming we're using a typical monospace, solid font. Can one generally assume 500 is officially bold and anything less is not bold?

I feel like I read a method of analyzing the area of a font and deciding whether the surface of each letter sufficiently stands out from the background. But I might have just dreamed that.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the list!

-Peter Quale

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.