WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: heading as child of another heading - valid?

for

Date: Apr 2, 2018 10:22AM

Thanks Birkir, makes sense.
Yes, the nested heading thing isn't one I'm going to lose sleep over, our content publishers create more egregious a11y issues than nesting headings. We're working on a training program for our people out in the divisions, so that should help cut down on some of the errors I see every day.

Diane R Tomlins
HCA IT&S | Digital Media
Accessibility SME

>Accessibility tester plug-ins for browsers tend not to identify most nesting issues, because the browser tries to correct them while building the DOM> I did >extensive testing with aXe about a year ago and it missed most nesting issues. Granted I should repeat those checks but it is understandable that a product >that tests the DOM (which is usually the right place to test accessibility) misses markup issues that the browser will try to correct while parsing.
>These can still be issues because there are no hard and fast rules for how browsers should handle invalid code.
>I wouldn't spend too much energy on this compared to other accessibility issues, but make sure not to overlook this entirely and try to run suspicious looking HTML through a checker.