WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Trapping focus in an alert

for

Date: Apr 6, 2018 2:47PM

I wouldn't want a polite region like this updated any more often than 4 times a minute.

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 4:37 PM, Meacham, Steve - FSA, Kansas City, MO < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Would aria-live="polite" be too verbose?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian via WebAIM-Forum
> Sent: Friday, April 6, 2018 11:53 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Trapping focus in an alert
>
> I have to admit I simplified my description slightly. It is not actually coded yet, and I was performing a design assessment. That said, the phrase in the alert about your session ending included 4:59 or something like that. I don't now recall the exact amount of time, but I was satisfied that it was sufficient. I toyed with suggesting that the time announce periodically, but every second would be waaay to verbose, and coding it so it only updated on a custom cadence seemed like overkill, and there was sufficient time indicated in the design that I figured a user could see the time remaining and be able to choose to either continue or to log out without feeling rushed.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Glen Walker
> Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 12:48 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Trapping focus in an alert
>
> I agree with the modal recommendation and trapping the focus but I have an additional question. Does your timeout dialog have a timer? I often see a "are you still there?" type dialog with a continue and logoff button, but I'm not told how long I have before I'm logged off. If I stepped away from my computer and came back to hear the dialog, I wouldn't know if I had to hurry to find the continue button. I like timers but you obviously don't want a live region that updates every second.
> > > The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
> > > >
>
>
>
> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
> > > >