WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Windows 10 April Update may break your JAWS licensing

for

Date: May 11, 2018 10:14AM

The results of the GDS survey are at https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2016/11/01/results-of-the-2016-gov-uk-assistive-technology-survey/. I have not compared them with the WebAIM survey but I would not be surprised if they are different because the respondents are likely to be from a rather different demographic. Unfortunately, the results do not contain any details of the browser versions, but they do say that JAWS was mostly used with Internet Explorer 11, while NVDA was mostly used with Firefox.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Jonathan Cohn
Sent: 11 May 2018 17:03
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Windows 10 April Update may break your JAWS licensing

It is truly interesting but not too surprising that there are so many older licenses of JAWS out there. By any chance, was the survey able to capture versions of Firefox being used? I am especially curious on this as only the latest JAWS works effectively with Firefox 60. so, it will be interesting to see if there is a large migration to Chrome, NVDA and/or newer versions of JAWS with all the new software that is not supported by last years version of JAWS.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan
> On May 11, 2018, at 7:34 AM, Steve Green < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> If you have JAWS screen reader and you use dongle-based licensing rather than the ILM licensing, the Windows 10 April Update may result in JAWS running in 40-minute mode because it cannot correctly detect the dongle-based license.
>
> Freedom Scientific are aware of this and have released new versions of JAWS 18 and JAWS 2018 that contain a fix. However, they do not plan to release fixes for JAWS 16 and 17. JAWS 15 and earlier are not affected because they do not work on Windows 10.
>
> For most people, the fix is simple - just upgrade to the latest JAWS version. Those of us who need to test on old versions of JAWS will either need to do so in 40-minute mode or install it on a machine running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
>
> However, the GDS screen reader survey in 2016 showed that almost 50% of JAWS users were using a version that was two or more versions out of date. If that is still the case now, any of these people with dongle licenses on Windows 10 will have to pay for a JAWS upgrade.
>
> The main UK distributor for JAWS tell me that dongle-based licensing is not common for personal use, but it is used for about 20% of commercial JAWS usage.
>
> Regards,
> Steve Green
> Managing Director
> Test Partners Ltd
> 020 3002 4176 (direct)
> 0800 612 2780 (switchboard)
> 07957 246 276 (mobile)
> 020 7692 5517 (fax)
> Skype: testpartners
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> www.testpartners.co.uk