WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: zooming font size on phone displays

for

Date: Jan 17, 2019 8:40AM

> I also use 3-finger double tap on the iphone to zoom the entire display.

As a point of clarification -- three finger zoom on iOS (and it's equivalent on Android) is an assistive technology -- SC 1.4.4 requires resize of text without use of assistive technology. Browser zoom is generally what is used to meet the success criteria but there could be other methods such as supporting the large text settings at the OS level by referring to Apple system fonts or by using an on page controls. As a note -- in some browser combos meta tag viewport restrictions can block the user from pinch zooming -- so this is always a good automatic or manual test to check.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila, CPWA
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 office

Visit us online:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog

Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:35 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] zooming font size on phone displays

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

However, that being said, I usually pinch/zoom as Jonathan said if it's just a small part of the website I'm trying to read. If I have to read the entire page, then I'll use the bookmarklet to bump up the font so that I don't have to pan left/right.

I also use 3-finger double tap on the iphone to zoom the entire display.
This works no matter what app is running. You pan around by dragging 3 fingers. You'll have to enable enable zoom in settings > general > accessibility > zoom. I have my zoom region set to "full screen zoom".
You can set your zoom magnification amount in that dialog as well, but I usually set it by doing a 3-finger double tap and on the second tap, leave my 3 fingers on the screen and drag up or down to change the magnification.

Glen