WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Difference Between ADA and WCAG

for

Date: Dec 26, 2019 9:05AM

Hi James, generally when people are speaking of the ADA conformance of websites they are referring to a functional test -- can a person with a disability access the information and enjoy the benefits and services of that website including information, services and any related physical aspects of a business -- such as store hours, location, contact information, coupons, purchasing products, booking a room, looking up information, etc. As David mentioned -- the ADA does not have specific technical standards for accessibility although the US Department of Justice has said the ADA does apply as written to websites. It has also said that the WCAG standards are not the only method to conform -- there is flexibility -- and that if you don't conform to WCAG it doesn't necessarily mean you don't conform to the ADA.

https://www.adatitleiii.com/2018/10/doj-says-failure-to-comply-with-web-accessibility-guidelines-is-not-necessarily-a-violation-of-the-ada/

Most demand letters, settlements and a limited number of decisions (because most settle out of court) have indicated that the WCAG 2 A and AA criteria need to be followed -- although sometimes the emphasis is on conformance to a specific group of people such as in terms of conformance for the blind or visually impaired.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila, CPWA
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 office
Visit us online:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of james mathu
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 11:27 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Difference Between ADA and WCAG

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi All,

Happy Christmas happy,

Need Help on this :

I knew that WCAG is an International Standards for Web Accessibility if someone asks I need ADA compliance for his application, how can I convince him that WCAG has more coverage of accessibility standards. And I read that ADA adopted WCAG.

Please help me with this by supporting some evidence.

Thanks,
James