WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Instructions for Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

for

Date: Jan 12, 2020 3:14PM

Peter,

There is another issue which I believe is outside the scope of WCAG. Shortcut keys that conflict with browsers shortcut keys and the OS keys. This is a consideration that all developers should take into consideration. Also consideration of screen readers that the shortcut key does not impact them as well or any other assistive technology.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Peter Quale
Sent: Saturday, 11 January 2020 5:35 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Instructions for Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

[External Email] This email was sent from outside the organisation – be cautious, particularly with links and attachments.

Wondering if anyone can help justify a requirement.

In my mind, if a web application requires a custom keyboard shortcut or has non-standard keyboard interactions, instructions are required. I'm not finding any WCAG success or failure examples that match what I'm looking for.

I did find a Deque University
<https://dequeuniversity.com/checklists/web/device-independent-input> page that claims this is covered by 3.3.2. Quote: "Custom Keystroke
Instructions: When custom keyboard behavior is required to use a component, keyboard instructions MUST be provided."

Would anyone know where the Deque team finds this correlation with 3.3.2, other than logic says so.

We're in one of those delightful situations where the developer won't budge unless they read it themselves. So, short of hacking the W3C site and adding my own success technique, I'm looking for official documentation.

Thanks so much for any assistance!

-Peter Q

--
*Peter Quale*
Google Voice: (707) 992-5696