WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: accessible version of website

for

Date: Apr 27, 2020 11:30AM

Hi,

I've seen this before, but as someone who uses a screen reader and has some knowledge of accessibility practices and standards, I see the two versions as a crappy workaround. To me, it says something like the developer chose not to make their content accessible for all, and gave those who may use assistive technology a *different experience*. There may be times when having a screen reader version happens, but in general, when I connect with developers, I **strongly discourage** this behavior. I also suggest, when other digital content is created, such as documents, one version is made...not a regular version and an accessible version. After all, we want to be inclusive of everyone, not exclude some or give some folks a different experience.

Just my thoughts...

Katie Frederick

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Tyler Shepard
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 1:26 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] accessible version of website

Hi all,
I was on a website that as soon as I loaded the page it said if you are using a screen reader hit this key combo. Is this a new thing, to design one version for screen reader users and one for non-screen reader users? Would love to know your thoughts. I have mine not a fan because it is an us vs them idea.
CAUTION: This is an external email and may not be safe. If the email looks suspicious, please do not click links or open attachments and forward the email to <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> > or click the Phish Alert Button if available.