WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: single page app with language switching button

for

Date: Oct 2, 2020 11:47AM

Thanks for your responses Glen and Steve.

To some extent, I agree with Steve that deciding to create a single page app was a choice and that there are consequences that follow from that choice. This was not my choice though, but it is up to me to insure that our users have the best experience possible given the circumstances.

I am an experienced screen reader user and am fully aware of the problems that can occur with these applications. I have had some experience with testing another single page application and I was surprised at how well it worked for me as a screen reader user. I was able to communicate to the developers what the problems would be and they were extremely responsive to the issues I raised.

I plan to create issues for Jaws and NVDA as you suggest Glen. I am not sure about Mobile users as I am not sure to what extent we expect to support Mobile.

At this point I am wondering how a screen reader could immediately detect a change of language in a Single page application.
What event or trigger could be used to check for a change of Language on the page? This would not happen very often, so to what degree would screen reader performance suffer as a result of checking for this.
I have to think that forcing a page load is the best option for this scenario.

Any other ideeas welcome

David Farough
Application Accessibility Co-ordinator,
Corporate IT Management
Public Service Commission of Canada/ Government of Canada
<EMAIL REMOVED>