WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Safari Pinch Zoom for 1.4.4

for

Date: Oct 27, 2020 6:46PM

> the browser is notified of a pinch/zoom so there's no chance for the page to behave badly and overlap or clip elements. Does it make the text bigger? Absolutely.

I run into areas of pages on mobile Safari that prevent pinch zooming from working. Most likely these areas are intercepting touch events and then do something different or what not - but I have seen this. Most of the time it's only on a area of the page and I can scroll up or down and pinch zoom and then back to the area I want to. This is probably not unlike the scroll jacking I'm seeing a lot now where the mouse scroll is taken over by content and might zoom in instead of scroll or simply scroll a region and then and only when I'm at the bottom of the region does it then allow me to scroll past the region to the rest of the page.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 6:56 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Safari Pinch Zoom for 1.4.4

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:05 AM Patrick H. Lauke < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
wrote:

> On 27/10/2020 15:42, glen walker wrote:
> > I agree with Patrick with regards to testing 1.4.4 separately from
> > 1.4.11 but I don't use pinch/zoom to test 1.4.4. To me, that's not
> > really resizing the text since it magnifies the entire viewport.
>
> It still satisfies the ask of 1.4.4 - that the user is able to resize
> the text. It doesn't normatively say that it's ONLY the text that the
> user needs to be able to resize, in isolation.
>

No, I get that. I'm familiar with normative vs not. All I'm saying is that my personal opinion is that pinch zoom isn't really a text resize. I don't think the browser is notified of a pinch/zoom so there's no chance for the page to behave badly and overlap or clip elements. Does it make the text bigger? Absolutely. Is it considered "resize text"? Perhaps my pedantic definition of "resize" is flawed but I don't think so. But I'm happy with my definition and will continue to use it. It doesn't bother me if others don't agree.