WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: How does Section 508 apply to documents?

for

Date: Apr 1, 2021 9:23AM

Thanks ever so much for that, Jonathan. It confirms what I suspected, but I don't know my way around all the non-web parts of Section 508 because we get so few enquiries relating to it.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: 01 April 2021 16:20
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] How does Section 508 apply to documents?

Section 508 for non-web electronic documents would be the same as WCAG 2.0 A and AA without 4 criteria related to items in sets of web pages, e.g. bypass blocks, multiple ways, consistent navigation, and consistent identification.

Some agencies such as Health and Human Services may have their own document checklists though and some varied expectations related to interpretations of the standards - so it might be helpful for you to know what agency it is for so you can check to find out if they have a specific checklist.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 10:55 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] How does Section 508 apply to documents?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

A potential client has created a PowerPoint file that will be given to participants in a training course. They have asked for a quotation for fixing the document to comply with WCAG and Section 508 and for providing a VPAT.

The WCAG part is straightforward - we test and remediate documents all the time. However, it is not clear to me how Section 508 would apply to a document. I know that Section 508 incorporates WCAG 2.0, so that is a subset of what we are already planning to do. But does Section 508 have any additional requirements for documents?

Obviously we would prefer to do all the work ourselves if we have the skills, but I am open to partnering with someone if we don't. The client wants the proposal by the end of today (US time), so please get in touch asap if you can help in any way.

Regards,
Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd
020 3002 4176 (direct)
0800 612 2780 (switchboard)
07957 246 276 (mobile)
020 7692 5517 (fax)
<EMAIL REMOVED>
www.testpartners.co.uk

Connect to me on LinkedIn - http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stevegreen2