WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF links and JAWS

for

Date: Feb 1, 2022 11:38AM

Thank you, Steve, for your post. That is interesting that a document can pass certain remediation standards but still have serious accessibility roadblocks.

I would love to send it to you to take a look, but we'd have to have an NDA.

So we'll try rebuilding the ToC and see what happens.

Thank you!

Maki

Maki Wiering – Learning Design
Hadley

Hadley creates personalized learning opportunities that empower people with vision loss to thrive – at home, at work and in their communities.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Tuesday, February 1, 2022 10:54 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PDF links and JAWS

[EXTERNAL: THIS MESSAGE HAS ORIGINATED OUTSIDE OF HADLEY ORGANIZATION]

We have seen some issues with tables of contents this week and I was wondering if something has got screwed in the latest version of Acrobat or possibly in Word's export process. In one document today, the TOC links work ok if you tab to them, but various weird things happen if you navigate to them using virtual cursor.

We had another document a couple of days ago, in which we had to construct a totally new TOC page from scratch and insert it into a document because the original was so deeply screwed that even untagging it and re-tagging it didn't work. The tags and their attributes in the new TOC page looked identical to those in the old TOC page, yet the links behaved correctly in the new one and not in the original.

Such is the joy of PDF remediation. Sometimes things are broken at a deeper level than we have tools to reach.

If you want to send me the PDF I'd be happy to take a look - I haven't suffered enough punishment today.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Maki Wiering
Sent: 01 February 2022 16:24
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF links and JAWS

We have an interesting conundrum. Our document has table of contents links. In Acrobat 64-bit with JAWS 2021 or 2022, the links are announced correctly, but Enter does not activate the links. Nothing happens. And this is the situation for three expert JAWS users plus their clients.

The links do activate, however, in Acrobat 32-bit and with NVDA. We have gone to two big PDF remediator services and they have concluded it is a JAWS issue. But I can't find anyone else citing this issue online? What are we missing?

Right now, the links have the nested tags "Link" and "Link OBJR".

Any insight, things to try, would be so welcome.

Maki Wiering