WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF library

for

Date: Nov 26, 2022 6:09AM

It's worth making the distinction between delivering a PDF to a browser and embedding a PDF in a reader in a page. When you deliver a PDF to a browser, the behaviour is under the user's control, at least in most browsers. By default the PDF will open in the browser, but you can change the browser settings so the PDF opens in your preferred application instead.

By contrast, if you embed a PDF in a reader in a page, it will always display that way. However, every embedded reader I have seen has a button that allows you to download the PDF and open it in your preferred application.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 26 November 2022 00:37
To: 'Miriam Fukushima' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; <EMAIL REMOVED> ; <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: RE: [WebAIM] PDF library

As a screen reader user, don't automatically load PDF documents in a browser especially in the same window.

give people the choice to download the document to be consumed in their own user agent rather than in a web browser.

Better still, be very clear as to why PDF is required at all and avoid using it whenever and wherever possible

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2022 11:56 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED> ; <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF library

Hello everyone,

I'm a webdeveloper and I was wondering if there is any library that renders a PDF reader in the browser that is accessible.

Does anyone know of anything or any experiences with any libraries or as a user?

--
Kind regards

Miriam Fukushima
- Entwicklung / Barrierefreiheit -
- Development / Accessibility -

---------------------------------------------------
GLAMUS
Gesellschaft für moderne Kommunikation mbH Gartenstr. 24, 53229 Bonn http://www.glamus.de/ mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Tel: +49 228 97617-75 Fax: +49 228 97617-55

HRB: Bonn 6287
Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Santo - Gerhard Loosch
---------------------------------------------------