WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Embarrassing question - text isn't read but it's neither a control nor is it non-text content

for

Date: Jan 26, 2023 9:39PM

I would think this is the same basic issue as continuous scroll is. BTW, the current New York Times App floats a “listen” button near the bottom of the screen when you first open the app or when you swipe up. One can not use VoiceOver gestures to get to the button other then explore by touch.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On Jan 26, 2023, at 10:40 PM, Kevin Prince < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> I've had the scenario a couple of times recently on Mobile Apps, often on only one platform where a section of text is not read or even found by the usual swiping/exploring motions. As the other platform reads it I can't call it out under 1.1.1 and it's not really 2.1.1 cos it's not a control that I can't reach. Clearly it entirely breaches the spirit of Principle 1 - Perceivable but not the detail of any obvious checkpoint. Is this a hole in WCAG? Or is my brain so frazzled by the joy or having just helped t run Deafblind New Zealand's second bi-annual conference that I can't see the wood for the trees.
>
> Summary.
>
> Paragraph of normal text following a heading.
> It's read by Voiceover but Talkback only finds the heading
> It's real text - VO reads it.
> It's not 1.1.1, it's not 1.3.1 cos it's not the relationships that are the issue, or any of the 1.4 checkpoints
> It's not 2.1 cos it's not operable - it's just text.
>
> TL;DR - it's clearly a bug and I wouldn't care but the customer insists on having a WCAG guideline is possible.
>
> Thank you all in advance.
>
> Kevin Prince
>
>
> Kevin Prince
> Product Accessibility & Usability Consultant
> <Mail Attachment.jpeg>
> E <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Christchurch
> fostermoore.com <http://www.fostermoore.com/>;
> This email and its contents are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender immediately, you must not use, copy or disclose any of the information in the email, and you must delete it from your system immediately.
> > > >