WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: achieving PDF/UA compliance

for

Date: Mar 28, 2023 11:41AM

I agree. It is a voluntary sticker that someone can apply to a PDF. I really don't like applications that simply add it in with an accessibility check. I then have to figure out how to remove it while remediating the PDF. I perform accessibility checks often during remediation so don't want the identifier attached until or unless I want to add it.

I don't add it to my PDFs.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Jon Brundage via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 1:34 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Cc: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] achieving PDF/UA compliance

Hi Steve-

Do you find the declaration of "UA" a bit like VPATs? I am dubious of the claims when someone says "this is UA so it is accessible. "UA" (like VPATs) is more of an honor system in my opinion. I could construct a PDF that is inaccessible and still get it to take the "UA" declaration.

Thoughts?

Jon

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 12:33 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >

I find that the Preflight tool only helps to fix a few of the PDF/UA issues we encounter. We fix most of the issues in other ways, mostly in the Tags panel. It's also worth noting that the Commonlook PDF Validator tests for PDF/UA conformance more thoroughly than PAC2021. And there are some tests you have to do manually.

If it's any consolation, I am fully sighted but find the Preflight dialog difficult to understand. I don't think it has changed in the 18 years I have been doing PDF remediation and it could seriously do with a redesign.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Garmer, Shawn via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 3:55 PM
Cc: Garmer, Shawn < <EMAIL REMOVED> >

If you are using the PAC 2021 checker, you may find taggedpdf.com helpful in deciphering the results and applying a fix using Acrobat Pro.
Full URL is https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftagged.pdf.com%2F&data%7C01%7C%7C00ddc496498d4933f20308db2fb29daa%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638156216420475365%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=XpRnRAJeEfozlO4SdKYdJqYprZ54kNf3EotrBKXf1RE%3D&reserved=0

Embrace the journey.

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of David Farough
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 10:40 AM
Subject: [WebAIM] achieving PDF/UA compliance

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

I am working on a document which has passed the acrobat Accessibility checker.
I am as the subject indicates trying to pass the PDF/UA standard.
I am trying to use the pre flight tool to fix any remaining issues.
I am using Jaws and these dialogues are extremely difficult to use and understand.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make this easier?
I am not sure about the best profile to use or what aspects of this process to concentrate on.
The PAC 2021 accessibility checker indicates that I have some content and structure issues to deal with and a font issue as well.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks