WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Adobe update breaks Alt-Text?

for

Date: Jun 7, 2023 10:47PM

Adobe's engineering team and accessibility team now have the details and a formal bug listing. Response from an Adobe engineer: they've been able to confirm the bug and are "looking into it." Response from the accessibility team: the engineers are now working on a fix.

So I think Adobe got the message and is fast-tracking a hot fix. Usually takes at least 10-20 days for a hot fix so don't look for this to be corrected this week.

In the meantime, please notify your work colleagues, IT department, and members of other accessibility lists about the bug. It's a nasty little one and prevents us from making compliant accessible PDFs from Windows/MS Office documents. Big royal P I T A.

Solution #1:
Don't update Adobe Acrobat on Windows. It's companion utility, PDF Maker for MS Office, has the bug. It's a plug-in installed into your MS Office apps.

Check your software versions:
– Acrobat 2023 version 23.003.20201 has the bug. It was released yesterday, June 6. Earlier versions are OK so don't upgrade those...yet.
– Check a recently made PDF from your computer. In File / Document Properties and the first tab Description, look for the PDF Producer in the lower section of the dialogue box. PDF Library versions 23.3.223 and 23.2.162 have the new bug. Older versions do not so don't upgrade your Acrobat.
– If you need assistance checking your software versions, refer to our blog at https://www.pubcom.com/blog/software-versions/index.shtml

Solution #2: A Workaround
– Use Microsoft's built-in utility to export accessible PDFs.
– Do NOT use the Acrobat Ribbon nor File / Save As Adobe PDF — they trigger the buggy PDF Maker plug-in.
– Use File / Save As / PDF and then select the option to tag it for accessibility.

Hope this helps!

— — —
Bevi Chagnon | Designer, Accessibility Technician | <EMAIL REMOVED>
— — —
PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing
consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services
Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes
— — —
Latest blog-newsletter – Simple Guide to Writing Alt-Text

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Laura Roberts
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 8:49 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Adobe update breaks Alt-Text?

Are we doing a group complaint to Adobe user voice again?

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023, 6:34 PM Philip Kiff < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> Thanks Bevi, and Steve, and Joe. I managed to turn my autoupdates off
> just in time after reading your messages. I've also shared the info on
> Mastodon.
>
> Phil.
>
> On 2023-06-06 18:16, <EMAIL REMOVED> wrote:
> > URGENT NOTICE TO ALL:
> > [snip]
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >