WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PowerPoint_Reading Order

for

Date: Nov 3, 2023 9:28AM

Hi Craig,

I'm having the same problem as Claire. When I select "bring to front" it visually moves the item to the front where it needs to be, but unfortunately it also simultaneously changes the reading order, moving the item down the list to where it does NOT need to be. I have not found a solution. (I'm using PowerPoint 365 now, but I used to have the same problem in PowerPoint 2019 using the Selection Pane).

Leigh

Leigh Mosley
Accessibility Coordinator
University of Tennessee Libraries
1015 Volunteer Boulevard
Knoxville, TN 37996-1000
865-974-0011
<EMAIL REMOVED>

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Hayward, Craig Edward
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2023 3:43 PM
To: Claire Forbes < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PowerPoint_Reading Order

[You don't often get email from <EMAIL REMOVED> . Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

Reading order and visual order are two different things.

If this is a case of "visually" being in front of things, in Powerpoint, highlight the item that has gone behind the other item, right-click and select bring to front. That will place it on top of other items in without changing where it's located relative to the top or bottom of the slide.

Note, this is to fix things visually. The reading order is how the elements are interpreted on the slide by assistive technology and non-visual means. It refers to the order items are read in sequence.

I hope that is what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Hayward, MLIS
Digital Accessibility Consultant
Digital Accessibility Office (DAO)
UNC - Chapel Hill
<EMAIL REMOVED>
https://DigitalAccessibility.unc.edu/

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2023 3:34 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] PowerPoint_Reading Order

Good afternoon,
Can anyone here assist with a PowerPoint reading order issue?

There is a text box header situated above a text box of content - In the slide's alignment, the header is in front of the text box, but in the reading order it's reversed (#2 and #3 in the image below). When I switch them so they're correct in the reading order, that changes their alignment on the slide [cid:image001.png@01DA0DA1.A6ED0D60]

Corrected reading order:
[cid:image002.png@01DA0DA2.5B818990]

Does anyone know how to fix this so that the reading order is correct without rearranging the slide content? Only think I can think to do is group them and give them alt text.

Thank you!
Claire