WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PowerPoint_Reading Order

for

Date: Nov 3, 2023 10:38AM

Hi Rebecca,
This method only resolves the issue visually, but not within the reading order.

I took Dax Castro's suggestion of: separating the text from the box gives you proper reading order control AND you wont get a inside a when exporting to PDF. Please do not group and give alt-text.

This was the only method that "fixed" both problems.

Thank you!
Claire

Sent: Friday, November 3, 2023 11:46 AM
To: Claire Forbes < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: RE: [WebAIM] PowerPoint_Reading Order

[https://members.ironscales.com/static/webapp/images/iron_icon_color_7_2021.png]
IRONSCALES couldn't recognize this email as this is the first time you received an email from this sender rebecca.brown @ utah.edu

Hi Claire,

Does right-clicking on the item on the slide and choosing Bring to Front solve the problem?

Thanks,
Rebecca Brown MLS, CPACC | Training Development Manager
NNLM Training Office | Eccles Health Sciences Library | University of Utah

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2023 2:34 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] PowerPoint_Reading Order

Good afternoon,
Can anyone here assist with a PowerPoint reading order issue?

There is a text box header situated above a text box of content - In the slide's alignment, the header is in front of the text box, but in the reading order it's reversed (#2 and #3 in the image below). When I switch them so they're correct in the reading order, that changes their alignment on the slide [cid:image001.png@01DA0DA1.A6ED0D60]

Corrected reading order:
[cid:image002.png@01DA0DA2.5B818990]

Does anyone know how to fix this so that the reading order is correct without rearranging the slide content? Only think I can think to do is group them and give them alt text.

Thank you!
Claire