WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: - Alt text for PDF org chart

for

Date: Nov 14, 2023 9:46AM

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly to my question.  I have a follow-up for Dough: Just to clarify, would I create a list group within the <figure> tag, underneath the "Image" tag,  that would have each position as its own list item?  That would not change the pdf visual, but would the screen reader read it since it's a group of tags?  I would simiply alt tag the jpg in the pdf as "Org chart for ...[company]" since the list grouping  would give the greater detail.  Does that make sense?

Suzanne Arden
c: 202-669-8228

On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 10:57:39 AM EST, Hayman, Douglass < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

Suzanne,

Without seeing the chart in question it is difficult to come up with THE answer.  But I think that some PDFs I've seen done in a creative and accessible manner, will have the various elements as perhaps list items, headings and so on.  While the chart may remain the same visually, the screen reader user can navigate the components in another way.  I've also seen where the ALT text will provide the equivalent information provided in a bar graph or pie chart while other PDFs will have those various components as list items.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
<EMAIL REMOVED>
(360) 475-7632

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Suzanne Arden via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2023 7:46 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Cc: Suzanne Arden < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - [WebAIM] Alt text for PDF org chart

CAUTION: This email came from a non-OC system or external source. Beware of phishing and social engineering!

What is the best way to describe a lengthy org chart in a PDF document?
Suzanne Arden
c: 202-669-8228