WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Hidden menu items

for

Date: Jan 31, 2024 7:26PM

Hi Catherine,

Hiding links from the menu and including them only in the general content of the webpage might raise accessibility concerns, particularly related to navigation for users relying on screen readers or keyboard navigation. It can potentially lead to a loss of hierarchy and make it challenging for users to understand the structure of the website. While it might not directly violate a specific guideline like 2.4, it could impact the overall accessibility and usability of the website, potentially falling under principles such as perceivable, operable, and understandable. It's advisable to ensure that important links are appropriately placed in the menu or provided in an accessible and logical manner within the content.

Best,

Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Jan 31, 2024, at 6:27 PM, <EMAIL REMOVED> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hello WebAim community,
>
> I have a question regarding the aforementioned subject. I hope I can make this clear enough. We have people creating webpages and hiding links from the menu to instead include them in the general content of the webpage. From what I understand for example, in drupal, every time you create a page, it creates a menu item. Some people are trying to circumvent that. So the links are not visible to anyone on the menu. They are visible to everyone inside the page content.
>
> My question is, does this constitute a violation of 2.4 or of any other guideline I can't think of? The argument being that if it should be a menu link, then make it a menu link. Including it in the web content of the page could create a situation where the hierarchy of the links is lost. Does this really constitute an accessibility issue? I appreciate any guidance y'all can offer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Catherine
> > > >