WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Check of an Accessibility Statement

for

Date: Jun 10, 2005 3:35PM

ANNOUNCEMENT

Welcome to our building!

We have ensured that almost all of our doors can be opened by everybody who visit us! The functionality of the doors is guaranteed by Standard Droos Spec YIZ v1.3. The doors can be opened from both sides. Please, enter strait ahead. To the people who need aid, we suggest using our new handrails (NHr 8.1) to the right - sometimes on the left - of the doors, under the sign "Handrails". In cases when the doors won't open automatically, you can open the doors by pressing the great green button "Open the doors" with your left hand (if you have one).

Thank You.
OrgCo Ltd.

(I'm so sorry!)

Hello Lisa,

As you might have guessed, I do not think an Accessibility Statement necessary. Few will read it, save for the information on access keys.

A normal Web site can be used by everyone by default, if the developers know the proper way to code and give higher priority to accessible information rather than design and special effects. (The latter is actually a social policy issue for the management, not the Web developer, to decide upon. Remember the doors?)

I think it should be the other way around:
Organisations who cannot produce a normal Web site should have Statement of Apology.

Also, some of these Accessibility Statements, and alike, mention disabled persons. My experience of life tells me that people with certain difficulties do not want to be reminded of that and do not want special treatment.

On the other hand,
your Accessibility Statement may be a very good way to spread awareness of proper Web site policy. Then, why not make a reference to the UDoHR? That message would get through better than referring to WAI, XHTML, CSS etc., as those abbreviations are only know mostly to Web developers. (Remember Droos Spec YIZ v1.3?)

"-Our Web site conforms to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights."

Regards,
Thomas Jedenfelt
(no hard feelings, okay?)

----- Original Message -----
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:02:15 -0300

>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Delurking to ask a question :) Enjoy the list a lot-I learn so much!
>
> I have created an accessibility statement for my site (don't look at
> the site right now, you are seeing the old version of the site still):
>
> http://gaccin.pair.com/ghosty/accessibility.htm
>
> I wanted to get some feedback on it. Does it make sense? Would you add
> anything? Delete anything? I have taken the free template from dive
> into accessibility (I haven't put up the credits below yet) and
> expanded on it and changed it a bit.
>
> Oh and I know that access keys may not be the best idea, however I