E-mail List Archives

RE: Font Resizers (WAS RE: back to top)

for

Date: Jan 11, 2006 10:00AM

Darrel Austin wrote:

"> Then why not provide the user with the information they need to use
> their browser fully, and give them the knowledge to make changes
> beyond the boundaries of your own web site?'

Because they don't care. They are on my site to get whatever info they want as fast as they can and they're not going to want to jump through hoops to be able to read it."

This may possibly be true, but half the trouble we, as users, face with web site design is the collective assumptions people make about our abilities, requirements and wishes.

I don't doubt that many people will prefer an "easy option", but equally I believe that some people will be interested to discover that their browser has this functionality. I also know, from anecdotal evidence, that many people are confused by the ability to alter the display of a web site by interacting with the site itself.

Changing font size within the browser is not difficult. At best it's a couple of clicks or key presses. It is remarkable to me that we can accept that a user can turn on the computer, fire up an application, enter a URL, often manually, negotiate through links, web forms and much more, yet we believe that they are unwilling or unable to learn how to take a couple of short steps to make all of the above considerably easier.

Regards,
Tink.