WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

RE: Accessible Flash

for

Date: Feb 13, 2006 11:00AM

Jan Schuffman wrote:

"That looks like a nifty little application. If I have that and leave it turned off, does it override auto-detection of Flash? If it makes a Flash-enabled
computer act like one without a Flash player, it might be a good way to show people what their sites would look like to someone who doesn't have Flash.
Also, do you know how well Flash Switch does/doesn't work with other browsers like Firefox, Opera, etc.?"

I'm afraid I don't know if it would hide the player from an auto-detect, but I would suspect probably nott. The player is still there on the machine, it is just prevented from kicking into action.

I must also apologise for not knowing how it works with different browsers, as Jaws support for Firefox came about a great deal later than support for Flash and the ability to ignore it from within Jaws itself. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with other browsers, but that's only a best guess.

If I had a little more time and one less deadline looming, I'd happily test it out, but I'm afraid I'm out of luck on both counts.

Regards,
L